Thursday, January 11, 2007

La Bloga's Review of Rigoberta Menchú's The Girl from Chimel

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I found this review of Rigoberta Menchu’s The Girl from Chimel on La Bloga, an award-winning blog by Gina MarySol Ruiz on Latino authors and Chicano literature.

I must confess my special fondness for Guatemala. Here's why:

1) I remember the lovely Guatemalan woman that befriended my mother. Of Mayan lineage, I loved the way she looked and the way she spoke. A superb seamstress, she was gentle, humble, and exceedingly polite and respectful.

2) My wife and I have sponsored a sweet young lady from Guatemala City since she was a toddler.

3) My wife and I once had an amazing African Queen-type experience down the Rio Dulce on an old and listing military boat.

4) I'll always remember Rigoberta's powerful plea in When The Mountains Tremble, a powerful account of the struggle of indigenous Guatemalans.

No comments: